Saturday, April 24, 2010

Google Streetview - yes!

Okay, I should be doing homework, or paying bills, or cleaning the house. But I just had to do some exploring around our new neighborhood now that Google Streetview is online for Merida. I counted the blocks to the new Sendero Mall, which Debbie and Lexy showed me several months ago during a quick scan of local amenities. 11 blocks, not bad. I know the bus to the mall stops very close to our house. It should satisfy many Gringo cravings with its big Soiriana food emporium. There's a Parisina fabric store, and I know they had bolts of inexpensive linen, which could be just the thing to cover the big windows in the front of the house. And apparently a great taco place. More local sights to come in future posts.

6 comments:

  1. OMG! A few days ago when I read on YL that the Google street view in Merida went live, I did the EXACT same thing! I “took” a stroll down Paseo, went by the panucho stand in Santa Ana square, and counted the blocks as I went by. It was so cool, but I lost an hour of time goofing...oh well, I had fun doing it all the while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh, I did something similar. I cruised by my house and then started looking for my friend's houses.
    It is way cool and a lot of fun.
    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Debbie, I just saw your blog for the first time...I will drop in from time to time. I am from Victoria too! Did we ever meet? I am now the editor of Yucatan Today and would be pleased if you would add it to your list of links: http://www.yucatantoday.com
    Saludos, Juanita Stein

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Juanita,
    What an incredible coincidence. I was just talking to Evelyn Butler yesterday in Victoria about Victoria people, like her, who are moving to Mexico full or part time. And she mentioned you. I don't think we've met yet, but I wonder? Small world, "eh"?
    cheers,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie,

    I have just visited your site for the first time... keep your dream alive!

    Especially now that my husband and I are a bit older, we know that Merida is the very best place to live - no contest!

    If you'd like to link my blog to yours, feel free to do so:

    www.writingfrommerida.com

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joanna and thank you for your kind encouragement. I just discovered your blog the other day and it is wonderful. I'm also looking forward to reading your book, Tomando Agua de Pozo. cheers!

    ReplyDelete