Monday, March 22, 2010

We have a house. Now what?

Got the email while sitting in my evening class, saying the purchase of our Merida house is completed. Lucky I'd paid for the house insurance the day before.

What we've got is a cool, though slightly dilapidated, colonial house in a fascinating city in the tropics, for the price of a proper kitchen renovation here in Victoria (which we still need, unfortunately). I know there are a lot of expenses yet to come, but so far the arrangement agrees with my bargain-hunting, thrift-store-shopping, curb-scavenging soul.
Here at home it's the time of pink snow. The peach and plum tree blossoms are falling and drifting at the curb and along the sidewalks. I wonder what the season will be like in the Yucatan - according to the dialogue on Yolisto it sounds like the weather has been fairly unpredictable and weird. It's been so busy here, there hasn't been much time for arranging useful things to do while I'm in Merida next week, but at least I'll have a set of keys and the ability to come and go. Maybe I'll buy a bottle of vinegar and spend a whole day cleaning the mineral deposits off the kitchen taps, or hack back the 10-foot tall weeds in the back. Or just hang a hammock and read.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations! So glad that it all worked out! It's such a special house, and I'm glad you're the one that ended up with it! I can't wait to see how it develops. But for now, the hammock sounds just right - the perfect spot to dream about and reflect on the future to come.

    ReplyDelete