Saturday, January 9, 2010

Show me a sign



I'm continually enthralled by the signs of Mexico. They are quaint, bizarre, funny, strange, beautiful. Sometimes they provide a flash of insight into the culture behind the facades, both the stone-and-mortar and the human ones.


I snapped some pictures of some signs that awed or puzzled me on the latest trip and here are a few of them. The plaque with la Virgen was nailed to the front door of a house in Merida. I don't know what to make of the "Watch out for U.S. Immigrants" sign. And the door painted with the iconic symbol of Mexico's unofficial national beverage had such an incredible hue and patina I couldn't resist taking a shot despite my, um, not too positive feelings about the Coca Cola Company.


Do you have pictures of notable signos in the Yucatan (or elsewhere in Mexico)that you wouldn't mind sharing on this blog? Please send them along. I'll see if I can rustle up a good prize for the most awesome/funny/baffling sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment