Sunday, August 30, 2009

Telchac Puerto: the lure of the murals


I didn't have much of a sense of the village of Telchac Puerto except it was probably too far out of the way for my upcoming trip to Merida and the beach towns. Then I saw a confusingly translated reference to this mural project by young graffiti artists, with a link to this irresistable Flickr slideshow. On the apparently official Telchac Puerto website I learned that "Artist and muralist Rigel Sauris is 'Painting the Town'..." The undersea mural covering city hall is the grandest work but numerous other buildings in town have had similar treatment. Despite my determination to avoid driving around in cars while there, I think I'm going to have to see this place.

These photos are from the Telchac Puerto website linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment